Final Reflection

Last night, I concluded a run to watch the sunset from the top of Monte Urpinu park with my daily indulgence: gelato from Gocce di Gelato e Cioccolato. 


(Sunset from the top of Monte Urpinu)

As I devoured my gelato (blackberry and dairy-free chocolate in a cone) on a bench in Piazza del Carmine, an elderly Sardinian man named Pierre, having noticed me around town, approached me and asked if he could take a seat. We proceeded to have an hour-long conversation in Italian! Talking to Pierre prompted me to reflect on the past few weeks of adventure and new experiences. 

We spoke of many things: from our world travels, to more localized topics, such as the beautiful beaches of the island, Sardinian food & history, our favorite places in Cagliari, public transit, etc. Pertaining to our conversation, the following are some of my favorite places in the Cagliari area.


(Cala Figuera Beach)


(San Benedetto & Castello)


(Pizzetta d'Oro & Monte Urpino)

Before he retired, Pierre farmed tomatoes in his hometown of Oristano; we spoke of the challenges faced by him and other farmers, such as EU imposed quotas on agricultural yields. He has travelled extensively around Europe, but never to the United States. He wanted to know how life in New York compared to Sardinia: I told him that the fast paced, ever-moving nature of NYC is by no means conducive to conversations like the one we were having. I appreciate the slow pace of life in Cagliari: how shops close in the middle of the day and people take the time to sit, relax, talk and enjoy the company of family and friends over an aperitivo/espresso. 

In his travels both in Sardinia and abroad, Pierre stays at hostels and instigates conversations with people from around the world. Apparently though, I am the first American with whom he has ever spoken at length. According to him, the Americans he has encountered have not been approachable. While traveling, I attempt to comport myself in a way that will change such perceptions. Over the past month, I have had many conversations with locals in Italian: with everyone from the vendors at San Benedetto Market to waiters at restaurants to strangers on the beach to our bus driver. Before this trip, I had never studied Italian; I've surprised myself by how much Italian I have managed to pick up. By no means do I speak with proper grammar, but I am able to convey the essence of what I want to say. Without a doubt, speaking in Italian with locals has enriched my experience, proving a glimpse into Sardinian life and culture that I would have never otherwise known.

It has been a pleasure to become acquainted with Sardinia. Amongst many things, I will miss the warmth of the people, sumptuous meals and natural beauty the island has to offer. I will treasure the memories I have made here for the rest of my life. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barbagia

Life in Cagliari

Visit to Old Mineral Mine in Sulcis, Sardinia