Barbagia

This past weekend, the group went on an excursion to Barbagia, a mountainous region in inner Sardinia. We stopped in Mamoiada to go to the Mediterranean mask museum, where we gained a better understanding of the craft of traditional mask making. The masks on display were reminiscent of those we saw at the Sagra della Pardule festival in Silius last weekend. Each mask is hand carved, unique and imbued with a sense of anguish. Some of the traditional garb include bells with sheep bones that produce varied sounds.



Afterwards, we had lunch with shepherds. We were served several rounds of meats and cheeses typical of the region.


(Suckling pig crackling over an open pit)


(The endless refills of wine made me a bit tipsy by the time we got to Orgosolo)

Subsequently, we went to Orgosolo, a small town famous for its politically charged murals that express social discontent and solidarity. There was insufficient time to see all of the towns 1500 murals. The town has attracted muralists from around the globe and is now considered a world heritage site. While walking down the main street, I asked Franco, our guide, about the artists behind the murals. He told me the most famous amongst the muralists was Del Casino, who depicted everyday rural life and social injustices through his cubist graphics. Franco directed me to a side-street that contained many of Del Casino murals, through which I meandered. Some of the best murals I saw that day were on that path.

(Criticism of the human cost of fast fashion)

(Inspired by famous french painting, 'Liberty Leading the People', by Eugene Delacroix)

(Del Casino's work, inspired by Karl Marx)

(More Picassoesque works of Del Casino)



(In remembrance of the 129 woman that died on March 8 in 1908 due to poor working conditions. This day has since become known as the Day of the Woman)

(In solidarity: 9/11)

(Depictions of traditional rural life)

(Mural by Bolivian street artist)

(Commentary on the practice of killing sharks for their fins)

(Everywhere in the town was gorgeous)

The hotel where we stayed was situated near the summit of Supramonte, which had a beautiful view overlooking the mountains and town of Oliena. After settling in, Julia, Annalisa and I went on a hike to see where the trails behind the hotel would lead. We watched the sunset as a group on the balcony; I managed to capture some photos of flowers illuminated by the sunset's golden rays.




Dinner was good, but I abstained from the rabbit: I had eaten too much meat during lunch. Over dinner, I sustained an hour long conversation in Italian with Francisco, the bus driver. He has had a very rich life and it was a pleasure to learn of his world travels.

The next morning, Phil, Scott, Ted and I woke up at 4:45 am, determined to summit Supramonte to witness the sunrise on the opposite edge of the ridge. We were supposed to take the 401 trail, but since it was dark, we veered off course at some point. Instead of backtracking, we blindly forged our own path upward, scaling an acutely steep slope of loose rocks with little vegetation. In retrospect this was not the smartest decision, and could have easily ended poorly had we not eventually found the trail. Though this deviation caused us to miss the sunrise, we were still able to catch some amazing views of the sky and scenery warmed a pinkish morning hue.




In the afternoon we went on a hike to the deepest gorge in all of Europe.The flora, fauna and wildlife of the island have made an impression on me. I find myself constantly taking photos of unique and beautiful flowers and plants. The climate and isolation of the island can be attributed to the vast diversity of life. 




I find it incredible that the island is so bountiful that, according to our first tour guide, it is possible to forage for food. On a previous hike, Claire pointed out wild white carrots and on my hike over to Cala Fighuera beach, I noticed thyme growing on top of the cliff. Even yesterday when visiting the gorge, there was fresh mint growing wildly in the stream where we stopped for a swim. I am one who appreciates sensory experiences: when visiting a new place, the more senses stimulated, the more vivid is the memory. As we swam, I nibbled on the mint, sensed the cool current pass through my feet and took in the fresh air and scenery. When I think back to this past excursion, I will certainly recall these sensations engraved in my memory.
(At the bottom of the gorge)


(A panoramic view of the gorge)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Cagliari

Visit to Old Mineral Mine in Sulcis, Sardinia